Monday, July 18, 2011

Scarf it Up!

My next project was to create a spin off of my favorite infinity scarf, I'm sure you've seen them, a long hoop of fabulous fabric you can wrap around your neck once, twice, or even three times.

My new scarf would be made using a recycled t-shirt from the local thrift store.  I started with an extra large, white, 100% cotton t-shirt.  The best use of the fabric was to cut it in to two pieces about 10 inches wide, by about 24 inches long.  Not as long as I had hoped, but it works out in the end.

I sewed the two ends together, forming a loop.  Washed and dried it to see if the sides would hold up without seams, and yes!  It worked.


Next I dyed it.  My favorite colors are earth tones, so I used the Khaki color Dharma Fiber Reactive dye.

Here is the finished product.  If you can zoom in on the scarf, note how the dye has a marbled effect.  I do this by pouring the dye over the item inside the zip-lock bag and soaking it in its crunched up form.


This scarf is not as long I had hoped, but it can still be folded twice, as in the photo below.  I like how the soft cotton folds nicely and isn't bulky.

You can easily make one of these yourself.  Stay tuned for more!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeni, Great blog! Love this scarf you made--what a cool idea! Recycling is so much fun, especially when used fibers can be turned into other fashion accessories, clothes, or soft plush critters (like I make! :-)). I'm so glad I joined your blog today--I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jennifer for visiting the blog and thanks for the compliments! I love your work as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for the scarf Jeni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ida!! I hope to have some available for sale locally soon! Would make a great neck warmer for the outdoor drumming group~

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts