Friday, November 5, 2021

Indoor Projects for Fall

 I'm back inside and at it again.  This time I had a repeat issue with mice gnawing through my ceiling board!  These vintage mobiles have a soft, chalk like ceiling board, so it doesn't surprise me that this would happen.  

I went to my go-to gal over at Mobile and Manufactured Home Living to see what kinds of articles she had on ceiling board repairs or replacement.  I was delighted to find a lot of ideas!
 
Some people just cover the existing ceiling board, others replace it.  There are some fantastic ideas I wish I had the expertise and money for.

For me, the problem is only in the closet and nowhere else, so I figured I could easily find something cool looking to install there.  

I keep a lot of old wood around for just this sort of project.  I used some old 1x4 pine boards that I used for a gate, so they were wonderfully weathered grey.  I cut them the 21 inch width of the closet ceiling and then white-wash painted them with a flat white primer - just one coat for the white-wash effect.  

I used 1x2's and 1x3's for the trim wood that would hold the "slats" in place and attached them to either side of the closet.  It was tricky on one side as there is a 2x4 frame there (to be addressed later!), but in the end I easily slid the slats into place.

This will work fine for me. 



Next I'll need to finish the outside of this closet frame.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts