Friday, December 13, 2019

Weatherization Programs

I was surprised to learn that there is still help available for people with modest incomes.
A year ago I applied for a Weatherization program through the county Community Action Council. 
They called the first week of December and I had appointments these past two weeks.

First they come out and audit the house for its needs.  Each county has its own budget for what it can cover too.  But I was quite impressed by the amount of work available to me.  

Four days, four guys and three outside contractors and I was done!  I got all new vapor barrier, insulated floors underneath, a new bathroom fan and a newly insulated water heater compartment.
They also ran my dryer vent to an outside wall.
A furnace technician came and serviced the furnace, replaced bad parts and installed a new thermostat.  The furnace ducting was repaired and sealed and I even got a heater vent in my bedroom!
All my doors were repaired and got new weather stripping.  All the windows were sealed with caulking.
I got a new carbon monoxide detector as well.

I would have never been able to afford these upgrades to my home.  Now I am warm and comfortable!  I have lived in this house all these years and had no idea it was that drafty!

Also one of the great takeaways is the education I received on how to maintain healthy air circulation throughout my home, while still getting to enjoy the wood stove.

I highly recommend you contact your local Community Action Council to see if you qualify for these wonderful upgrades.  It's a long wait to be approved, but well worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts