In early Fall I took on a small project in the dining room. For years I had been looking looking at half a cabinet, and an unfinished counter - left from the previous owner. I would sit and contemplate how I would remedy this while eating my meals. Since it is just me and a limited budget, the built in buffet would have to stay a dream. But with a little elbow grease and some paint I could at least make it look better.
This is the "before" shot. Not bad actually, but I did a good job of hiding the imperfections.
I actually did little damage to the wall getting the cabinet out! These old mobiles are put together with some kind of space-age like glue and staples, so sometimes removal isn't even possible.
I next removed the counter. It is about eight feet long and weighs a ton, so you can imagine my small self pulling this baby out - and not dropping it on my toes!
I patched the holes and did two coats of primer. I also painted the little cabinet there to the right. It's two shelving units from WalMart - dreadful fake wood look. Later I paint it and put on vintage handles.
This is the finished paint, sorry, kind of a dark photo. I went with a butter cream to lighten things up.
And, back to the finished wall. Notice the stunning red cabinet with vintage handles. Perfect added storage.
I just happened to have that long shelf from another room and it fits perfect on the wall above the log shelf.
All I need to do now is add the ceiling trim - and paint that hideous orange floor!