Friday, August 5, 2022

She Shed

 


In the Spring of 2022 some friends gave me several windows.  I had hoped for another greenhouse, but it didn't take long to realize that was out of my budget as it would require a structure I didn't have framing wood for.

So I opted for finishing this lean-to shed that is attached to my roof-over structure.  It is my only outdoor storage space of this size, which I previously walled in with whatever I had handy.  

Always an eyesore to me, it didn't take me long to see how much better it could look with these newly acquired windows.


The finished product is my very own She Shed!  I even had an old door sitting around just waiting for this spot.  New paint, a glass door knob and a few colorful flowers added the finishing touch I needed.


On the northwest side are the two long frosted glass windows, one opens.  The sun comes up on this side, so frosted glass was perfect.  I pieced together the trim and the plywood walls from scrap I already had.  The paint was just another way to make it look cheery and fun.


The other side is a clear window that also opens (with a screen!).  I had to be very creative with the trim here as I ran out of enough of anything to make it look uniform.  I just went with the inspiration.  I added a driftwood shelf under the window and the lattice on the bottom of both sides just breaks up the solid paint color. 


The inside is nice and roomy with a workbench.


The last piece of the project was to decide whether or not to keep the makeshift "deck".  I decided to first take it apart and see what boards I could save that did not have dry rot.  Nearly all were salvageable!  Again, deciding to be creative, I cut them in half, sanded and stained them on both sides and rebuilt the little deck in two pieces.  The section on the left will accommodate plants so those boards are set farther apart for water drainage and are clear coated with Varathane seal.
The chair is easily removed for easy access in and out of the shed while I'm working outside.

This was my first experience framing for, and installing windows!  I wasn't sure I could do it, but I did and it just goes to show you that you'll never know until you try.

Total cost for this shed rehab was $0 as I had all of the materials. 

1 comment:

  1. Good job! Can’t wait to see you Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts