Saturday, June 4, 2022

The Return of Huckleberry Hollow

 It's been a long and challenging recovery for HH but grateful it wasn't worse.  Spring arrived and new growth came forth as if nothing had happened.  Luckily I was out working in Feb. and March clearing broken brush, downed trees and repairing collapsed or slipping banks.  

The biggest project was probably the collapsed tree stump behind the house.  I needed to haul out the extra dirt and debris by cart-fulls.  Fortunately I had just the place to relocate it - the slipping bank!  I added dirt and rocks to build it back up.  No photos of that project, but I do have a few of the back bank.

This was its original state.  I waited till the snow melted to deal with it.


Then I began hauling out the dirt and debris.


And here I am beginning the rebuild of rocks and a few cinder blocks.

In February my friend Harry came and fell the Alder next to the house.  It had lost some branches in the storm and was now leaning toward my house.  I decided it was time for it to go.




It made for a lot of nice firewood and kindling.

Then the fun months rolled around;  March, April and May.  It was a beautiful, typical spring for us, cool and rainy with just enough sun to coax out the vegetation.  A perfect combination to rejuvenate the forest.  All the ferns have grown back as well.

Planning the greenhouse and new raised bed was an exciting prospect for me after the crazy winter.  This would be my second full year to grow in the greenhouse and my first season with the new raised bed.  

















Between April and May I started seeds and bought starts for everything I wanted to try this year.  I also went from 3 gallon grow bags to 5 gallon bags.  The latter work well for tomatoes and broccoli. 
I've enjoyed fresh greens for salads and strawberries so far.  Soon there will be sweet peppers.




 At least the back bank is cleaned up and I can get around the house now.  I'll continue to add rocks there and shore it up for any future follies.  But the hill brush has been cut and trimmed now too, so less chance of damage there in the future as well.

The iris are making quite a show this year too!  I've got triplet blooms on each stem.  

When the garden veggies are fuller I'll take more photos.  The tomatoes and squashes are all moving to the patio area soon, too.  I won't keep many things inside the greenhouse after July.

Thanks for following along my humble journey.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts