Friday, July 12, 2019

The 2019 Kitchen Makeover

I have wanted to repaint the kitchen and dining room for a few years now.  The last time was about 2008 I think, or a little later.  My tastes and color schemes have changed since then, plus I needed a new stove, so that's what really kicked this whole thing into gear.

Lowe's has a sale for every holiday, so I waited for the Memorial Day sale and bought a modest, affordable, but very functional stove to fit my space.  I wanted stainless steel this time.

The whole kitchen would be white with accents in stainless steel, black/grey and Caribbean blue.  The dining room would be the same white with beach themed decor to complement the kitchen.

Function is my goal in this tiny kitchen.  I like to cook, I want things handy, I need clear counter space (since there is so little).

So I'll start with the end photo and work my way back over the journey.


Wala!  The finished kitchen.  New paint, stove, backsplash, shelving, spice rack, utensil racks, light bar over stove, knife rack, and hardware for cabinets and drawer.

In the beginning, was this color, sort of a southwestern yellow.


I proceeded to paint the entire kitchen, dining room and ceiling with a country white satin.

The dining room got new or newly painted cup racks, drapes, a beach theme clock and seagull print, mixed in with beach decor I already had.





This last image is my colander rack on an old piece of weathered wood I salvaged off the beach.

My favorite repurposed item is this pots and pans rack.





I have been saving this piece of wood for years.  I purchased the stainless steel rack from KitchenSource online along with two smaller ones for the kitchen.

The old stove left and the new stove was delivered and installed.





I painted all the cabinets and walls the same color.  I had white porcelain knobs, but found these super vintage metal ones at an antique store that I like much better.




So here's a view of the functional side of the kitchen.  These utensil racks are very sturdy and come with a lot of hooks.  The spice rack and magnetic knife holder are within easy reach.  The stainless steel backsplash is from Lowe's online, easy to install.  I added a repurposed wood shelf above it for the light bar and a few essentials.
I have some blank space on the upper wall which I'm not sure what to do with yet.  Maybe just a metal print.




This shelf system was a surprise.  I didn't really know what I was looking for and this presented itself.  Seemed perfect for this wall.


Here's a close up of the utensil racks.


This spice rack I am rather proud of.  It's all repurposed wood with simple brackets.  I white washed the wood for a weathered look.  I wanted several open shelves as I like to have all the essentials within reach.
The magnetic knife holder was a gift.  I love that my counter space is clear for preparation.


 As you can tell I enjoy a minimalist style.  Some of that is cost and some is just simple function.

As I progress, I would like to add new overhead lighting, flooring and someday a new counter and sink.

Thanks for visiting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts