Thursday, February 22, 2018

One Last Blast

Apparently I spoke too soon in my last post, hasty to get on with Spring in the middle of January.
Mid February has brought some really cold temps and snow, perhaps making up for the easy mild winter we were having.


It's not a lot, just a lot of days.  Lows hit 22 this week and highs are barely reaching 32, very unlike the Pacific Northwest, but becoming more common as the years pass.

So I carry on with work anyway.  I love being self employed, having your own business is very rewarding, but you do question your sanity when you're working outside at 27 degrees cleaning a clients hot tub while it's snowing.  But as good natured as I am, I laugh at the bizarre-ness of it and add it to my list of fun stories I can recount one day.

Having a car with optional all wheel drive and even four wheel drive, gives me more freedom to actually make it to my jobs in winter, however the courage to do it sometimes wanes.  Fortunately I haven't had any negative experiences yet, but have some more stories to recount about driving uphill in deep snow or downhill in a blizzard, neither of which I recommend!


When I'm at home I work for the birds, they want to be fed and have fresh water, so I keep the feeder full and take out some warm water to break up the frozen birdbath from time to time. 
If I slack off there is a particular Towhee who will fly at the window and sit on the BBQ and stare me down in the kitchen window until I hop to it.  

I keep the fire going in the wood stove almost 24 / 7 during these cold spells as the furnace was surely built for some other climate.  I sympathize with anyone who lives in a vintage trailer that has to rely on electric heat.

I was really inspired at the beginning of the year to finish the latest photo book, poetry book and to start shooting black and white film again, and I will get to them, but the inspiration is limited right now.  Extreme weather makes me uncomfortable, and it's best to just get through it, and wait till it's "normal" again, before starting new projects. 

More snow expected this afternoon but hey, at least the power is still on and I can take tomorrow off from the work that takes me away from the house.  There's another perk, you may sometimes work 7 to 10 days in a row, but when you do finally get two days off in a row?  You think you're on vacation!

Till next time~

PS:  Hey did anyone else notice?  I just hit 35,000 visits!!  Woohoo!  Thank you all for sharing my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts