Saturday, December 30, 2017

Recycled, Repurposed!



This summer I scored these 2x6 boards that were being thrown out from a deck project.  Perfect size for any project, especially shelves!  Many were originally 12 feet long, so I had to cut them down.  Several of the rougher ones were used in a raised bed garden I installed in late summer.

These three 6 foot long boards were the ideal size for my kitchen.
If you've been following along with this blog for a while you will recall that I had cabinets that were literally falling off of the ceiling over the stove.  When I finally got the nerve to remove them I also had to remove the overhead fan, always vowing to replace it with one that will work in this situation (still on the list!).

Anyway, I had these shelves installed here temporarily until I could figure out what to do next.
Regular pine boards for shelving.


They were lovely for the time being, but as you can see, the newer boards are much more functional, and I prefer the more rustic look too.


These are wonderfully weathered boards.  Easily cleaned up, and have had no sealers or stains added, making them safe for the kitchen.

Adding these longer boards required a bit of rearranging for the wall storage that was previously on the side walls here, so I moved them.


This was great because I can reach them easier now too, and they are all on one hanger.

I think my cast iron fish hanger fits the scene much better now too.


So there is a finishing project that cost zero dollars and just a little effort to install.
The only thing I would change would be to swap out the white metal shelf brackets for heavier black ones. 

2 comments:

  1. I was looking at the wood shed post, and you mentioned that "bear mania" had gotten your apple tree. What state are you in?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts