Saturday, December 2, 2017

Home Energy Audits

I recently took advantage of an offer from my local utility company to do a free home energy audit.
I highly recommend everyone do this!  I learned all the ways in which I can conserve energy, ie.; money, in my home.

We walked through my 880 square foot vintage trailer with built on addition and assessed windows, doors and appliances.  Did you know you can buy an insulating unit for your outlets?  Use these on outside walls.
Also, if you have the old style toilets that use a ton of water, you can add a few full water bottles inside the tank to cut down on the water usage.

You can turn down the temp on your hot water heater and insulate it.  I had done this years ago, as well as upgraded my refrigerator. All my windows are double pane vinyl and sealed with weather stripping, as are my doors, but I take it a bit further by adding cardboard or heavy fabric curtains over all the glass too.

During this audit I also received free LED light bulbs and a low flow shower head, fantastic!

My forced air furnace is my biggest energy draw, but I keep the filters changed out about every four months when in use.  I also have a dryer and a cooking stove that use 220.  The most you can do is use them minimally.

In the future when I can afford it I want to have the floors insulated and possibly add additional insulation to the walls.
Fortunately I have a large wood stove that is my primary heat source, because honestly, the furnace would never keep it warm in here - nor I could I afford it!

Get in touch with your local power company and ask if they offer free home energy audits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Links to your blog welcome. Spam links will be deleted.

Most Popular Posts