Friday, October 28, 2016

Peter Rabbit Jr

This is Peter Rabbit Jr., a descendant of a pair of rabbits that settled in here this year.  Adorable!
Peter Jr. has spread out his territory beyond my yard but returns every couple of weeks to visit.

He is a very polite house guest.  He doesn't eat much, doesn't disrupt the environment, and sleeps outside.

He is welcome here anytime.  :)

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Bamboo Transplanting


My bamboo are reaching 12 feet tall this year, but were in need of transplanting.  I did some research and found that I could easily pull them out, cut them in half and put them in new pots.


I purchased nursery pots for the affordability and durability.  These are sturdy pots!  I think they must be made of tire rubber as that's what they smell like.

I had help on this project as it takes two people to manhandle them out of their pots, then between the chainsaw and handsaw we were able to cut them in half.  This is no easy task!

We only got to two of them, ending up with four nice new plants, spread out along the new cedar fence really adds to the privacy.  Next year we'll tackle the other two.

Along with the new layout of the front yard came much contemplation on how to landscape it.  There are several large plants that can't be moved, but everything else was flexible.
So for this year I decided to create beds around the larger plants.  The spaces left were ripe for new ideas.  I created an ornamental grass bed with rocks from the beach. 

These lovely grasses will spread out and grow tall, creating a privacy screen along the driveway.

So the view from the house is thus, so far this year. 




Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Restructuring


I began the new siding / skirting project in the Spring of 2016, juggled other outdoor projects and then added the skirting / cedar siding under the mudroom.  I could only get half way through that too, as the front porch needed dry rot boards replaced as well as leveling.

By the end of August I completed what is pictured above.  I had help with the leveling but replaced the deck boards myself and added the skirting boards.  Later I added the new gravel and began work on the landscaping.

 The top boards are now replaced (and safe!) and level.


The cedar siding / skirting looks good on this old structure, adding airflow underneath.



It's simple, it's safe and was extremely affordable.

Next Spring I can work on the surrounding landscaping to bring back that charm it had in earlier days.