Thursday, November 20, 2014

Painting the Floor

I have seen it done before and wanted to try it for years but hadn't gotten up the nerve I guess.  Finally I had had enough of the rug with holes in it and decided it was now or never.

I pulled up the rug and discovered particle board underneath.  Not surprising as this addition hadn't been finished when I bought the place.  No problem, I was going to try the painting idea.
I didn't really need to sand it, but there were some nails that needed to be pounded down.  I vacuumed it thoroughly and taped off the sides.

Surprisingly easy, I just rolled on a base coat of primer.  I was prepared to apply a second coat but it didn't seem to need it or even a top coat of color.

I replaced the furniture and smaller area rugs and was quite happy with my results!!

I have since installed carpet tack strips along the existing carpet you see here.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Replacing Outdoor Steps

Eventually everything wears out I've learned and when you're the homeowner you need to address it as soon as possible.
This year a few things came up, in this post it's the front outdoor steps.  This is the main entrance to the house and it needs to be safe, legal and with a handrail. 

I replaced two of the steps then remember to take the before picture!  As you can see they are worn and up close they are cracked and rotting.

I thought I was just going to be replacing the step boards until I got to the top and found this menacing looking board - with dry rot and holding the whole stairway on the porch!!!

 Well that was enough to get my attention and be grateful no one had fallen through there.

All I had to do now was to remove the entire staircase and attach it somehow with a new board.

 After I'd had lunch and time to contemplate the situation, I came up with the above idea.  I first had to attach the board to the steps, then attach the whole system to the porch.  It wasn't easy, but I did it!
(Insert Girl conquers carpentry).

The other thing I had to do was to re-level the steps and put in new supports under both risers.  I did this with broken patio blocks (which work for all kinds of projects by the way) and added gravel to fill.

So wala!  New steps (railing added later) and it's safe and secure for all who enters.  
I decided on these 6 inch wide deck boards with a sliver of room between them for water run off.  I noticed the last steps were all built so tightly together that water puddled up and eventually rotted the wood.

Next up is an indoor floor project I'd been thinking about for years....!

Featured Post

2018 Projects

Happy New Year!! I hope this finds everyone rested and ready to head into the New Year, clean slate, refreshed and optimistic. I ma...

Most Popular Posts